[Mailman-Users] password required for public archives?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 12 22:50:12 CEST 2009

David Newman wrote:

>A customer asked that we change archives of an existing list from
>private to public. That's done, but Mailman still requests a password,
>even from a new browser with no cookies installed.

Because the user is still going to the
http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LISTNAME/ URL instead of going
to http://www.example.com/pipermail/LISTNAME/.

When you made the archive public, the link to the archive on the list's
listinfo page changed, but any old saved URLs or bookmarks in people's
browsers of course didn't, and the 'private' CGI always requires
authentication whether or not the archive is public.