[Mailman-Users] List-creation Owner E-mail Address

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Mon Sep 21 23:00:03 CEST 2009

Kirke Johnson <kjohnson at pcc.edu> replied:

>I was successful using the following syntax:
>
>owner = ['address1 at pcc.edu','address2 at pcc.edu']

I am not trying to set multiple owners in the list configuration;
I know the syntax for that.  What I am trying to do is use the

     /usr/sbin/newlist

command, which allows ONLY ONE e-mail address to be specified when
the code prompts me for the e-mail address of the list owner

     Enter the email of the person running the list:

I want to be able to enter the e-mail addresses of ALL of the list
owners, so that they all receive the list-creation e-mail that contains,
among other things, the list admin password.  I can only specify one
address, so I tried a test specifying

     LISTNAME-owner at lists.example.com

to see if that would work.  After the list is created, mail to that
address will be sent to all of the list owner e-mail addresses that are
currently in the list configuration.  The question is one of timing -
when I run the newlist command, the owner addresses have not been
set.  That command sets the owner addresses to the single address that
I specified in response to the prompt.  My subsequent

     config_list -i

command sets the list owner addresses, but I cannot insure that my

     /usr/sbin/newlist

command will not have sent the e-mail before the list owners have been
set.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov