[Mailman-Users] Question about Troubleshooting Mailing List Issues

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 24 20:26:48 CEST 2009

Emmett Rahl wrote:

>One of the administrators of our Mailing List (and I also tried it myself) tried to send out a message on one of our lists.  The policy on this particular list is that any mailing list member can send out a message as long as it is under 100K in size.
>
>After a couple of hours, the message bounced back to him and it said something like "Try again later."  I also tried to send a message (I am also an administrator (but am not in charge of the list) and member.) and I haven't gotten any response yet myself.

The "Try again later." response didn't come from Mailman. It most
likely came from The MTA because it doesn't know how to deliver list
mail.

>The server that our website and the Mailman program reside on is the same, and I am able to log in and make changes to the information on our website, but I am not able to send any messages, nor do I know of a way to see if there is something wrong with Mailman (it doesn't seem to be the server...).  I also checked the documentation at list.org, but there isn't anything to this effect.

Who administers this server. Is it your organization or a hosting
service. Whoever it is, they need to make sure that the mail server
can deliver to Mailman.

>I am also wondering... in the future, if there is a way to manually send e-mails out to the list (i.e. from within the Mail List Administrative area)?

Not from the web interface. There is a Mailman tool, bin/inject, that
can queue a message for Mailman from the command line in a shell.