[Mailman-Users] digests without 'message #n..."

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 24 22:13:28 CEST 2009

----- Original Message ---------------

Subject: [Mailman-Users] digests without 'message #n..."
   From: Rob Lingelbach <rob at colorist.org>
   Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:32:13 -0300
     To: mailman-users at python.org

>one of my mailing lists is sending out digests without the usual
>in-line separator of "Message 1..."  "Message 2..."  between the
>messages,
>after the Table of Contents.
>
>It is set to send MIME-type digests.

MIME vs. plain format digest is a user option not a list option. The
list option only sets the default for new users.

Plain format digests have messages inline separated by the RFC 1153
separator line (30 hyphens) followed by selected headers and the
scrubbed message body.

MIME format digests have each message as a separate MIME message/rfc822
part with partial headers and the MIME message body.

The "Message: n" line is aadded by digest processing as a message
header. Which headers appear in plain and MIME format digests is
controled by the settings MIME_DIGEST_KEEP_HEADERS and
PLAIN_DIGEST_KEEP_HEADERS, both of which include Message: by default.

However, what you actually see in the MIME format digest depends almost
entirely on the MUA used to view it.