[Mailman-Users] remove_members program

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 26 20:56:52 CEST 2009

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>Is there a way to either use the remove_members program of unsubscribe a
>member from all lists using the web?  I would prefer this instead of
>having to connect to the server via ssh each time I want to use it.

There is currently no global web unsubscribe.

What I do is allow the web server to run certain Mailman commands. I
have fairly tight control of the web site, and only allow it to run
find_member, list_members and a local invite_members command. You
could do something similar.

The way it works is I have a compiled wrapper in Mailman's bin/
directory. This wrapper is owned and executable by the web server and
is group mailman and SETGID. The wrapper itself is invoked with an
argument string which is simply the command line you want it to
execute. It checks if the command is allowed and if so, invokes it.
This wrapper is called by some php web applications.

You could make a wrapper to fit your needs and make a php script with
whatever security you want to receive some post data and invoke the
command. However, you probably don't want to do this if untrusted
users can create web pages on the server.

I have attached a sample wrapper to the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9>.