[Mailman-Users] Mailman Approved: header

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Apr 7 14:37:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

For the RPMforge project (and for various other organizations) I set up
subversion to use svn-mailer to send out commits to a mailinglist.

Since we have been getting our vast amount of spam targetting this list as
well (using forged email addresses) I today looked at the Approved:
header, which is a way for Mailman to authorize certain posts without
moderation.

 	http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030685

However svn-mailer only allows to add custom headers prepended with "X-"
according to RFC 2822. And today that caused me to publicize our Mailman
password to the list by accident while testing ;-)

 	http://opensource.perlig.de/svnmailer/doc-1.0/#groups-custom-header

Which leaves us two options if we want to be able to make Mailman and
svn-mailer work together for the Approved: header.

  - Allow svn-mailer to add custom headers without prepending with "X-",
    so that we can add the Approved: header using the configuration file.

  - Make Mailman accept X-Approved: as well as Approved: headers.

To be honest, I see a benefit in both solutions and my preference would be
to accept each of these modifications in both svn-mailer and Mailman.

For myself, I patched svn-mailer to not prepend "X-", but I prefer a
solution that is accepted by upstream for others.

Kind regards,