[Mailman-Users] Mailman port

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 23 05:52:29 CEST 2010

Lindsay Haisley writes:

 > Isn't Signal 11 generally an indication of a hardware (e.g. memory)
 > failure?

No.  This is what Windows calls a "general protection fault", and it
means that you've attempted to access memory that the operating system
thinks you shouldn't.  Possibly the most common low-level cause is
dereferencing a NULL pointer, but overruns of dynamically allocated
buffers and randomized pointers are also frequently observed.

High-level causes include program bugs, requesting that the compiler
do inappropriate optimizations, buggy compilers, and linking to buggy
libraries.

Either way, it's not a Mailman bug.  Python (like many other
high-level languages) promises to be safe, and not be crashable.  It
does quite well at that (I don't think I've ever observed a released
Python to crash because of a bug in code written by the Python
developers for Python), but it can't make promises for aggressively
optimized distributions, for libraries, or for compilers.