[Mailman-Users] Cannot set digest mode via URL

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Aug 29 16:59:10 CEST 2010

Brad Knowles wrote:
> If they are now shipping something and calling it 2.1.13 and it's
> not exactly the same code that we provide from
> <http://www.list.org/download.html>, then I think it's time we had
> the PSF and/or FSF lawyers give them a call -- and speaking as a
> member of the Mailman Cabal, I will make sure to carry through on
> that, if necessary.

Red Hat and most other Linux distributions ship Mailman with various
patches, making it very much "not exactly the same code" and the GPL
license explicitly grants this freedom.  Are you suggesting that
trademark guidelines be applied, similar to what Mozilla does for
Firefox?¹

I'm not arguing that if a distributor patches Mailman and changes core
behavior to the point that it causes confusion for users and
potentially sullies Mailman's reputation that it's fine and should be
left alone.  Just trying to see what grounds on which you want the
lawyers to complain.

¹ Because of those trademark restrictions, Debian ships the firefox
code with their patches under the name Iceweasel.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -- Albert Einstein