[Mailman-Users] Sendmail - Aliases

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 19 00:32:41 CET 2010

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

>* Steven Jones <Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz>:
>
>> uh no, Its done per list when you create the list, so that's lots of
>> command line additions, if I had a gui to do it I could allocate the
>> work to the helpdesk and not a linux admin.
>
>Very odd, with Postfix I don't have to do that. Both use BerkeleyDB,
>so I wonder why this shouldn't be possible with Sendmail as well...
>
>http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030606

Yes, that FAQ page points to ways that alias generation can be
automated for sendmail, in particular the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/B4Au>.

To answer the OP's original question, yes there is a reason. The reason
is sendmail's security which won't use aliases in files that are
writable by other than root.

Thus, you have to use one of the technique's in the FAQ which use
either a cron run by root or a sudo command with appropriate entries
in /etc/sudoers so the web server can run it.