[Mailman-Users] Best Mail Program to Use w/ Mailman

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Tue Feb 23 18:46:40 CET 2010

Beyer, Clay wrote:

>We are setting up a Debian web server and would like to use Mailman to
>manage a couple of mailing lists that we control. After some initial
>complications with Mailman and Postfix we decided to uninstall and
>reinstall everything, before we get going again, I just wanted to get an
>idea of what the best mail program, taken from the Mailman
>Documentation, to use with Mailman... Postfix, Qmail, Exim, or Sendmail.

Personally I would go with Debian's default of Exim and follow the well written instructions in the Debian package file /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Exim4.Debian, it really is a cut and paste setup.  This basically emulates the Postfix virtual style setup, but includes the routers etc to get Exim to see the relevant virtual aliases files.

I have converted three Mailman setups that were using Postfix (on a mix of Ubuntu and FreeBSD) to this setup, and it worked fine.  In all these cases this was a separate box managing a bit of web stuff and lists, not the primary email server.

Thanks.
Andrew.