[Mailman-Users] question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 20 16:14:26 CET 2010

sheryl maris wrote:

>We currently use Lyris for mailing lists.  With Lyris  we are able to
>automate the subscription of users to lists by directly updating tables in
>the MS SQL db.  What methods programmatic  administration does mailman
>provide?

MM 3 will have a true user database which can probably be updated
outside of Mailman. There are third party MySQL member adaptors for MM
2.1.

For 'standard' MM 2.1, there are web admin interfaces for deleting
individual members and for adding or deleting lists of members. There
are also command line tools for adding or removing members and for
syncing the list membership with a flat file.There are other command
line tools. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/z4A9> and the
documentation at <http://www.list.org/docs.html>.

>Aslo, how can we query reports?

There is a daily status report script (mmdsr) distributed with Mailman
that summarizes log files and includes such things as number of posts
by list, hour and sender. There are command line tools for reporting
some info (see the FAQ entry above). Beyond that, we'd need to know
more specifically what you'd want reported.