[Mailman-Users] Recipient address rejected: User unknown invirtualmailbox table

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sat Jul 10 17:20:15 CEST 2010

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010, franc walter wrote:

> OK, again, if I have 3 virtual domains on it:
>
> example1.org
> example2.org
> example3.org
>
> and i want to have for each domain a separate list:
>
> list1 on example1.org
> list2 on example2.org
> list3 on example3.org
>
> The emailhost of each of those lists should be like
>
> lists.example1.org
> lists.example2.org
> lists.example3.org

Do you want the Email addresses for your lists to be
<listname>@lists.example1.org, <listname>@lists.example2.org, etc?  This
is what I think you're saying.

> So is this the right setting:
>

> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['example1.org', 'example2.org',
> 'example3.org']

If what I've written above is indeed what you want, then the
postfix_style_virtual_domains will need to include the "list." part, as
these are the Email host part of the adress.

This sets the Email address to be <listname>@lists.example1.org (etc) and
the web URL to be http://example1.org/...  Again, is this what you want?

> In Postfix i put:
>
> relay_domains = lists.example1.org,lists.example2.org,lists.example3.org

You won't want this.  Relay_domains, as I understand them, are domains for
which you *relay* mail, not domains you actually host on this host.

> mydestination = lists.example1.org, lists.example2.org, lists.example3.org,
> example1.org, example2.org, example3.org, localhost

Again, you probably don't want your domains in mydestination if they're
virtual.

> I wonder if i want to add a new virtual domain, now i have to change a lot
> in mm_cfg.py (mailman) and also in main.cf (postfix).

All I have to do when adding a domain is add it to our database via
postfixadmin, then edit mm_cfg.py and add a call to add_virtualhost() and
also add it to POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.  Pretty simple.

> newlist --urlhost=example4.org --emailhost=lists.example4.org list4

If you have the add_virtual_host items in mm_cfg.py, you should be able to
just do:

newlist list4 at lists.example4.org

though I admit to usually using --urlhost and --emailhost anyway just to
be sure.

HTH,
Geoff.