[Mailman-Users] delivery limitation there users?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 20 16:16:12 CEST 2010

On 7/20/2010 2:28 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Esteban Torres <etorres at dap.es> wrote:
>>
>> configure SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 2700?
>
> I think you can leave it as it is or just bump it a bit. Leaving it as
> it is means Mailman will do 6 runs for your list. If you make it 900,
> then three runs. However, I think 6 runs is still fine. The comments
> in Defaults.py don't say what is the time interval between the
> transactions. I wish it said.

Don't increase SMTP_MAX_RCPTS. 500 is way big enough. You won't gain
anything by making it larger.

As far as time between transactions is concerned, There is no
intentional time delay. Mailman delivers to the MTA as fast as the MTA
responds.

Mailman breaks the recipient list into chunks which are never bigger
than SMTP_MAX_RCPTS, but may be smaller because it also chunks by top
level domain. If there are settings like VERP or personalization, the
chunks may be only one recipient each. It then opens a connection to the
MTA and delivers one chunk per transaction as fast as the MTA responds.
If SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION is > 0 and less than the number of
chunks, it will close and re-open the connection after that many
transactions, and finally will close the connection when done.

Since each transaction sends the entire message body, there is a
performance advantage to having more recipients per chunk, and thus
fewer chunks/transactions, but beyond a chunk size of well under 100,
there is negligible gain.