[Mailman-Users] one-click subscription

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon Mar 1 21:29:56 CET 2010

David Newman wrote:
> On 3/1/10 10:34 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> David Newman wrote:
>>> For a read-only announcement list, I'm looking for a way to set up
>>> "one-click subscription" where a user enters an email in a form on a web
>>> page and gets subscribed right away, with no confirmation needed.
>> This is not a good idea. It allows anyone to subscribe anyone else to
>> your list without the subscribed person's knowledge or consent. Do you
>> really want to do this?
> OK, thanks. Thinking about this some more, it does seem like an
> excellent way to subscribe users who never asked to hear from us. I'll
> recommend to our team that we at least get confirmation before proceeding.

Also, you should note that in some places anti-spam laws make it illegal
to operate mailing lists that only require one-click subscription.  My
slightly fuzzy memory says the laws surrounding this were most strict in
Germany, but I wouldn't be surprised if other countries require
confirmation before someone can be put on a mailing list.

  Terri