[Mailman-Users] Messages not departing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 12 23:10:37 CET 2010

Dennis Carr wrote:

>OK, here's what I found:
>
>Mar 12 10:08:11 2010 (31200) delivery to xelloss at slayers.org failed
>with code 45 0: 4.1.2 <xxx at slayers.org>: Recipient address
>rejected: Domain not found
>
>I've found similar messages with xxx at fanfic.net at the end.  Certainly
>mailman should be running these as bounces?

It would if your MTA returned a 5xx status instead of a 450.

>Moreover, I should note that many of the users are not getting
>messages, and in logs/smtp, I see messages such as this:
>
>Mar 12 13:32:35 2010 (31200)
><905831dc1003100904u3451a9b7kbc405d64f96d9b39 at mail.gmail.com> smtp to
>ffml for 2 recips, completed in 60.504 seconds
>
>(Note that this is normally right around 1,000 recips.)
>
>Semi-related message from logs/post:
>
>Mar 12 13:35:37 2010 (31200) post to ffml from
>dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net, size=1444,
>message-id=<Pine.LNX.4.64.1003121020550.31541 at kimba.chez-vrolet.net>, 2
>failures
>
>In short, what's up, and how to fix this?

If this started, what changed in your MTA configuration? Or your DNS?

What is apparently happening is you are getting failurs and the message
is queued for retry and there may be a couple of addresses that get
accepted.

I suspect a DNS issue with the MTA's lookups of the recipient domains.