[Mailman-Users] weird message in /var/log/mailman/vette file

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed May 12 16:34:04 CEST 2010

Masaharu Kawada wrote:

>A following message keep appearing in /var/log/mailman/vette
>at around 12:00 every day.
>
>---
>Mailman post from root at example.co.jp held, message-id=<20100
>42900100.xxxxxx0 at example.co.jp>: Post by non-member to a members-only list
>---
>
>This seems to be related to a cron job(senddigest), so, one way to make this
>stopped is to comment out the line regarding senddigest in
>/usr/lib/mailman/cron/cron.in.
>
>#0 12 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests
>
>However, what is that member to a members-only list? If I remember right,
>the 'mailman' mailing list created by default, and then administrator's
>password
>was asked to the list.
>
>How could I add a member to a members-only list to stop that message?

Mailman's cron/senddigests runs as the mailman user and is encountering
an error and producing output. This output is being mailed by crond to
'mailman' and is being delivered to the 'mailman' list. It is from
'root at ...'. The mailman list in turn is set with
generic_nonmember_action = Hold and 'root at ...' is not a member of the
mailman list, so the 'post' is held for moderator approval and the
hold is logged in the vette log.

You need to go to the admindb interface of the mailman list and see
some of these posts and find and fix the problem in senddigests.

You can add 'root at ...' as a member of the mailman list the same way you
add members to any other list, but I don't recommend that.

I recommend you do the following:

1) Set the 'mailman' list's generic_nonmember_action to Accept.

2) Make sure the mailman site admin is a non-digest member of the
'mailman' list with delivery enabled.

and optionally,

3)Add 'MAILTO=the_address_of_the_mailman_site_admin' to Mailman's
crontab so errors will be mailed directly to the admin instead of to
the list.