[Mailman-Users] Cleaning up email headers

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 16 17:24:16 CEST 2010

TheClarkes wrote:

>I am a ceramic artist living in Eugene, OR. My mailing list of
>customers is now done with mailman.
>However, I notice that the email headers are crammed with extraneous
>information/lines.
>Despite my best efforts to reduce the header clutter, I'm still left
>with unwanted lines (see below in boxes)
>[]
>
>Does anyone know how to reduce the header further ? I'd love to get
>it to something simpler and less intrusive ...
>thanks ... don

Presumably, your header list was included in a non-text/plain part that
was removed by this list's content filtering. However, here's an
annotated list of headers typically added or modified by Mailman.

  added if a message was held for moderator approval and later accepted.

  added if the list's content filtering removed anything

Subject: [Mailman-Users] Cleaning up email headers
  possibly modified by adding the subject_prefix

  added and required to prevent mail loops from misconfigured lists.

  added

  added

<http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users>,
	<mailto:mailman-users-request at python.org?subject=subscribe>

  The List-* headers are specifid by RFC 2369. They can be suppressed
  by setting include_rfc2369_headers to No on the list's General
  Options admin page.

Sender: mailman-users-bounces+mark=msapiro.net at python.org

  The above two are added/changed by Mailman for bounce processing
  purposes. Unfortunately, the Sender header can cause some Microsoft
  MUAs to display From: 'sender' on behalf of 'from'. See the FAQ at
  <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>.

Note that most MUAs do not display most of these headers by default. As
noted above, you can easily turn off the List-* headers.