[Mailman-Users] mailman-loop and exim

Roger Lynn roger at rilynn.me.uk
Mon May 17 15:54:14 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 08:27:29AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Roger Lynn wrote:
> >Exim doesn't know what to do with mail to mailman-loop (documented at
> >http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-announce/2001-December/000032.html
> >) on my machine. I'm guessing this is because the instructions at
> >http://www.list.org/mailman-install/ and
> >http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html don't mention mailman-loop.
> >
> >What do I need to add to tell Exim how to handle this alias? I presume
> >it would be an addition to the router.
>
> No. It would not be an addition to the Mailman router because the
> associated transport doesn't do the right thing.
>
> Just add the
>
> mailman-loop: /usr/local/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox
>
> alias to /etc/aliases and the system aliases router will take care of
> it. The site list name and/or (standard default) path above may need
> adjustment for your installation. I.e. if your site list were named
> 'site_list' instead of 'mailman' the address above would be
> site_list-loop, and the path needs to point to Mailman's data/
> directory (possibly /etc/mailman/data in Debian). Also, you need to
> make sure that Exim's system aliases user:group can write to
> owner-bounces.mbox

Is the necessity of adding the above line doumented anywhere in the
installation instructions?

The equivalent in Debian is

mailman-loop: /var/lib/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox

However Debian's default Exim configuration doesn't allow delivery to
files in /etc/aliases. The "Debian way" to do this would be to create an
Exim router and transport pair which would have the appropriate
permissions to deliver to the file. I have posted to a Debian bug on
this subject at http://bugs.debian.org/562700#50 If I get around to
adding the router/transport (it shouldn't be difficult) I will post my
results to that bug.

Thanks,

Roger Lynn