[Mailman-Users] Subscription Confirmation to Welcome Delay

Greg Sims greg at headingup.net
Tue May 25 05:22:13 CEST 2010

Hey There,

We are using mailman to support a 5,000 person distribution list.  The
majority of our interactions with users is by email between the users and
the mailman software - humans do not get involved.  The way our software is
configured, the users see the following sequence to subscribe to our email
list:

1.       Web form is filled out to subscribe by user

2.       Sever generates an email to the user to confirm the subscription
request

3.       User replies to the subscription confirmation to the server -
typically hitting "Reply" and then "Send"

4.       The user receives a "Welcome" to the mailing list email

Our users are seeing a delay of 15 minutes between step 3 and step 4 above.
Many times this delay is too much for our users to handle or confusing.
This is especially the case when the time between step 1 and step 2 above is
generally less than one minute.  This delay between steps 3 and 4 many times
results in the user sending an email to our webmaster - instead of waiting
out the 15 minute delay.

Is it possible for the timing between step 3 and step 4 to be decreased?  We
have plenty of available server capacity available if this is a concern for
some reason.

Thanks, Greg