[Mailman-Users] remove moderator password from all lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 25 17:18:52 CEST 2010

Florian Effenberger wrote:

>2010/5/22 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
>
>>>is there any tool or script to remove the moderator passwords from all
>>>mailing lists? I've lost the plot on which lists have a moderation
>>>password and which don't, so I'd love to reset all of them.
>>
>> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/MIBp>. The input you want is
>>
>> mod_password = None
>
>thanks a lot! Can the normal list administration password also be
>changed via that way, and if so, which parameter do I need to use?
>password = (without mod)?

To set the list admin password you can use

password = 'value'

but value is a sha digest of the plain text password. In order to set
the plain text password, you would need the input to config_list to be
something like

from Mailman.Utils import sha_new
password = sha_new('new_password').hexdigest()

but this will only work with Mailman 2.1.12 and later. For older
mailman, this needs to be

import sha
password = sha.new('new_password').hexdigest()

but this will issue a deprecation warning with Python 2.6.x, but it
will work.

Or, you could just generate the sha digest of the plain text password
separately and set that value.