[Mailman-Users] Exporting or upgrading mailman lists

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Sep 15 03:14:13 CEST 2010

Steven Jones writes:

 > I had no idea what they meant.....neither did they.....

My suggestion is to put your resume in a common format; this company
is not long for this world. ;-)  More seriously (unless and until my
speculation proves correct :-/ ) ...

 > I think they mean something a Microsoft (based) product can read
 > and import.....

What do they want from the lists?  If it's just full name and email
address, then "bin/list_members --fullnames $LIST_NAME"[1] from the
mailman directory will spew a list of lines of the form "First
M. Last <inbox at firm.tld>", which you can then run through
"sed -e 's/ </,/' -e 's/>//'" or similar to get a CSV file that any
program should be able to read.  They also probably should be able to
read the raw text output, since that's a standard format.  You
probably should grep for double quotes and commas in the original
output before trusting that sed script, of course.

If they want user config parameters (like "nomail" or "moderated"),
that's a little harder.

I don't think the list config parameters (which you get from
bin/config_list)

 > 2) What's involved in migrating to a new version of Mailman?
 >
 > Grab the source and extract it, i.e. mailman-2.1.14, then read the
 > file named UPGRADING.

Typically that's all you need to do.  ISTR that in the case of 2.1.9
to 2.1.10 or later, there are a couple of parameters in mm_cfg.py
which you should confirm are appropriate, and a couple more new ones
in Defaults.py that you should consider customizing (by adding them to
mm_cfg.py, of course).

IIRC, I looked but didn't need to touch anything.

And, of course, when in doubt, you know where to find us. :-)

Footnotes:
[1]  Just bin/list_members gives you a usage message.  You may be
interested in the --output, --preserve, and --unicode options,
depending on your needs and the configuration of your lists.