[Mailman-Users] nginx + fcgiwrap, web interface problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 15 16:56:23 CEST 2010

Jon Evans wrote:

>I am trying to configure Mailman on a system using nginx, and fcgiwrap for
>CGI, according to this guide: http://wiki.nginx.org/Mailman
>
>After doing so, I have a problem:  The main listinfo page displays, and
>shows my public lists, but all other links redirect back to listinfo.  I
>can't get to any specific list information page, and I can't get to any
>parts of the admin for any list.

Caveat - I know virtually nothing about nginx, fcgiwrap and fastcgi.

It appears that PATH_INFO is not properly set (actually not set at all)
in the environment passed to the Mailman CGIs. A URL like

  http://www.example.com/mailman/sss/aaa/bbb/ccc

should invoke the Mailman CGI named sss and pass PATH_INFO=/aaa/bbb/ccc.

>From what I see in your nginx config, things like

   fastcgi_split_path_info (^/mailman/[^/]*)(.*)$;
and
   fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_path_info;

should do this, but compared to the guide at
http://wiki.nginx.org/Mailman you are missing

   include fastcgi_params;

which could be the problem.

When you go to an 'admin' URL, do you get the admin overview page? This
would be consistent with missing PATH_INFO.