[Mailman-Users] accept_these_nonmembers @ notation

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed Apr 13 11:09:16 CEST 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
>>
>> Only I noticed that nesting of sibling lists is not allowed (it does
>> not work as expected).
>
> The sibling list feature, regular_include_lists and
> regular_exclude_lists does not work as you expect because it only
> affects recipients of posts to 'this list'.

Now all is clear

> I have added a note about only one level of inclusion to the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9>.

Thanks.

The important thing is that one can make things work as it should creating

   umb1 with siblings listA listB
   umb2 with siblings listA listB listC

this is equivalent to umb2 = umb1 + listC (which won't work). Since the
definition is done only once there is no different effort required in
setting up things with nesting or with flat one-level arrangement.

>> Mailman is so smart that when sending to pseudoi send just to A,B and C
>> and removes the duplicate to A+x. Great !
>
> I don't think Mailman did this. Possibly it was the MTA or your MUA that
> dropped one of the (A, A+x) recipients, but I don't think Mailman will.

The MUA could not have done that since it was unaware of the addresses
(they were just list members). I verified (outside of mailman) that it is
our MTA (sendmail) which does that, and it does it while sending.
Subaddresses are preserved in the header if they were included (true for a
"plain" sending, not true for a mailman sending). Since we use the same
sendmail.cf on all our machines, this is fine for us.