[Mailman-Users] Problem with bounce_matching_headers

Thu Apr 14 22:11:31 CEST 2011

On 4/14/11 3:12 PM, Barry Finkel wrote:
> I am running 2.1.14, and we had a problem where a list owner
> subscribed a number of persons to a list, and many of these
> persons want to be unsubscribed.  To catch mail directed
> toward the list:
>
>      Subject: Please remove me from your list
>
> I added a line to bounce_matching_headers
>
>      Subject: .remove.
>
> (I placed it at the end of the Mailman-supplied lines),
> and the next mail with that subject line was sent to the
> list moderators.  Another mail message arrived:
>
>      Subject: Again... Please remove me from this list
>
> but this one was not diverted to the moderators.  What is
> wrong with my bounce_matching_headers line?  Thanks.

Doesn't . only match a single character? I use filters more like

Subject: .*remove.*

so the .* matches any number of characters between the Subject header
and the word.
This filter likely will have false positives, you may want something
more like

Subject: .*remove.*list.*

--
Richard Damon