[Mailman-Users] Emails to a specific email domain get error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 25 05:29:47 CET 2011

Hung Phan wrote:

>We are having an issue with messages sent out through Mailman server that don't reach a specific email domain. In the exim main log, we see these error messages repeatedly show up:
>
>email at thatdomain.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
>or
>email at thatdomain.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out
>
>Our Mailman server is not on any blacklist. What would likely be the issue here?

The mail exchange server (or server) for thatdomain.com is not
accepting port 25 connects from your server. The server may be
temporarily down or blocking your IP or just misconfigured so no mail
can be sent to that domain.

Only the admins of that server can tell you which and if they are
blocking your IP, why.

I don't think this is a Mailman issue. If try to send mail directly
from your server via some MUA, you'll see the same result.