[Mailman-Users] Rerouting "announce" replies to "talk" automatically

Ken Winter ken at sunward.org
Sun Jul 10 02:45:57 CEST 2011

I'm trying to set up "announce" and "talk" lists for a neighborhood group.
Let's say the addresses of these are announce at my.group and talk at my.group.
As usual, "announce" is to be a one-way, no-reply list.  I want replies
addressed to "announce" to be automatically rerouted to "talk".

Following the advice at
http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030685, I have set these
under the announce at my.group General Options:

1.      "first_strip_reply_to": Yes

2.      "reply_goes_to_list": Explicit address

3.      "reply_to_address": talk at my.group

4.      "include_list_post_header": No

Everything works fine, except when the recipient of an announce message hits
reply-to-all.  Then the "To:" line of the mail client is populated as
talk at my.group; announce at my.group.  So the reply goes back to the "announce"
list as well as to "talk".  Is there any way to set up the "announce" list
so that reply-to-all does not include announce at my.group, or is that purely
controlled by the mail client?  (List members are not techies, and I have no
control over the type and settings of the email clients they use.)

If I can't stop the reply-to-all from going back to "announce", is there any
way to set up "announce" so it recognizes these replies and automatically
discards them?  (It will not work to just reject emails from list members,
since all of them are authorized to send messages to the list.)

~ Thanks in advance

~ Ken