[Mailman-Users] Odd Subscriptions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 17 19:35:57 CEST 2011

On 7/16/2011 2:20 PM, David Andrews wrote:
> Has anyone seen anything like this and what does it mean.  I run a
> server with about 150 public mailman lists on it, and just got about 300
> new subscriptions to various public lists, from the same domain at the
> same time.  It is "apot.com" and the form is firstname dot lastname at
> apot.com and the first and last names are all different but believable.
> Is this like the zeusmail.com subscriptions a while back, I got a bunch,
> but never knew what they were about.

It's answerpot <http://answerpot.com/> archiving your lists.

In my case, they sent an email to the owner of one list about a week
before with links to opt-in immediately or opt-out with the no response
default being opt-in after a week with no response. I didn't respond,
set the list's subscribe police to approve and waited.

The interesting thing is I have a few advertised lists, some active, and
the only one they targeted was effectively dormant. All the lists have
private archives.

I eventually got a couple of subscription requests from addresses
similar to what you describe at apotmail.com. I discarded the requests
and added

to the ban list of all my lists. Perhaps I'll change that to

based on what you saw. Interestingly, the names answerpot.com,
apotmail.com and mail.apotmail.com all map to the same IP while apot.com
maps to a different IP which is apparently a reseller - "The domain
apot.com is for sale. To purchase, call BuyDomains.com".