[Mailman-Users] Mailman error: Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /pipermail/grads/ on this server

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 15:24:46 CEST 2011

I'm testing a new installation of postfix and mailman on a remote
server (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 64-bit) with two active virtual hosts.  Each
host is accessed via a switch to https (TLS).  I installed mailman
(and postfix) via my package manager.

I've established four lists, two for each server, and I can send and
receive mail successfully so far.

However, I, as a list user, cannot get access to the archives for a
list.  When I try to look at the archives through the link on the
Welcome message I get the following:

  Forbidden

  You don't have permission to access /pipermail/grads/ on this server.

I tried changing the example line in the mailman.conf  file from:

  Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

  ScriptAlias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

but that didn't change anything so I changed it back.

I have searched this list for "pipermail" but see no similar problem.

I'm sure I've missed a note somewhere but I'm not sure how to proceed.
 The mailman docs talk about permissions and the mailman user but
Ubuntu installs all mailman files with root:list ownership which seems
to work for all else.  All the directories under /var/lib/mailman have
these permissions:

  drwxrwsr-x  4 root list

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,