[Mailman-Users] reboot servers

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Jun 3 16:52:45 CEST 2011

On 6/3/2011 4:56 AM, Khalil Abbas wrote:
> The servers are all vps'es with 256 ram..

vps? If you mean they're vertual servers, then at least give them more RAM!
(Have you watched the processes with top while running? Where are the
-actual- bottlenecks?)

> my question is, is this a good solution? or should I split them into very
> small lists then send the same message every hour after making sure that the
> servers finished distributing the mail for the previous lists?

I think the consensus is that it's not. Might work, but not good.  But...
RAM is cheap, servers are cheap,  why not just replace the hardware? A few
months ago I bought a used dual Opteron 2.6gH server with 2g ram for about
$125 at a local reseller. Just needed a disk.  You may spend more time
hacking around with parameters and segmenting lists than building and
replacing the box, and then you'll have have a more generally powerful server.

z!