[Mailman-Users] External smtp

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 7 18:50:22 CEST 2011

On 6/7/2011 6:33 AM, Julio Brum wrote:
> Hello, Can anyone give me a tutorial step-by-step (for dummies...)
> instructions for installing the mailman with an external smtp (gmail
> or some other)?

For outgoing mail you need to set SMTPHOST and possibly SMTPPORT in
mm_cfg.py, and if your outgoing server requires authentication, you need
a patch along the lines of the one at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558281>.

For incoming mail, you need to arrange for the mail server to accept
mail for all list addresses and arrange some way to get this mail from
the mail server to Mailman. How you would do this depends on the mail
server as well as other considerations. No step by step is possible
without knowing what the external server is and what tools are available
on your mailman server.