[Mailman-Users] sharing userbase with WordPress

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sun Jun 12 15:59:39 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:43:12AM +0200, Luigi Rosa wrote:
> Is there a way to share the userbase of Mailman with WordPress?

In-part, I'd suggest...

> What I need is that the "master" database is Mailman and I would like to
> replicate (also via script) the accounts and passwords to WordPress.

WordPress (WP) users have email addresses. It's relatively trivial to
extract those addresses, and, say, feed them through to
sync_members(8)...

Pulling in the name (if that's your fancy) could also be done quite
easily.

As for passwords, I'd not do this, at all; particularly if you've not
zapped the password-reminders crontab.

You'd also, presumably need to unsalt the password-hash stored in WP.

I'd just generate a random password for Mailman. It's trivial
(although, quite how so many failo…) to receive a password reminder,
after all.

(Maybe add in a 'Mailman password' field into the WP users' table, and
in the user's settings pages, and feed that to Mailman?)

> Is it possible?

I'd say:
email addresses: yes
names: yes
passwords: no, and you shouldn't.

How's that?

--
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one
 depends on the unreasonable man."