[Mailman-Users] Anonymous emails with the sender information

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jun 13 04:20:21 CEST 2011

Nigel Woodley writes:

 > I understand other mailman type products offer this functionality for the
 > very reason that I have outlined.

What you are saying implies that an explicitly untrusted host is
allowed to inject content into a secure network based on the most
easily forged identification on the Internet.  This seems unlikely to
be true to me, and if true, I would say the security policy is broken.

Are you sure you understand the actual rules for mail distribution on
this network?  I have to suspect that even if you got what you say you
want, you still would not be able to distribute posts via a Mailman
based on that host.

There are better methods for identification like DKIM (though they
still have technical problems w.r.t. mailing lists).  Perhaps such a
protocol is in use on your network and you need not munge headers at
all (in fact, you can not munge DKIM-signed headers without breaking
DKIM).

HTH