[Mailman-Users] Minimal Mailboxes Question

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 14 15:53:00 CEST 2011

Due to various reasons, I had to change my site name from 'mailman' to
something else. It is not clear from the documentation what mailboxes
are really required. The site list is not used for anything other than
processing reminders and other administrative functions. What I need to
know is what names are required for proper function. I am limited by my
ISP to the number of subaccounts I can have so I can't have more than
the absolute essentials. For a regular mailing list I have the following
mailboxes:

<name>
<name>-owner
<name>-confirm
<name>-join
<name>-leave
<name>-request

For the site list I have:

<sitename>-owner
<sitename>-bounces

For the most part this seems to be working under normal circumstances.
What happens to mail from the regular list that bounces? Do I need
<name>-bounces or does it go to <sitename>-bounces? Are these mailboxes
sufficient or do I need others (I can add a maximum of 2 more)
particularly when something goes wrong. It seems like my problem area is
when something bad happens, I don't get notified. That is the reason I
had to change my site name so I can retrieve bounces.

TIA.