[Mailman-Users] cannot add user or create mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 31 02:11:20 CEST 2011

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>Please advise if preferred policy on this list is reply to all or reply to
>list, and excuse if I did wrong.

There is no policy per se. I prefer reply to all, and it seems to me,
although I haven't actually counted in any rigorous way, that most
long time members of this list do too. My reasons for preferring reply
to all are:

1) Tt keeps digest subscribers who post up to date on replies to their
posts and can facilitate their replying to replies.

2) Although the list policy is that posting is restricted to list
members, non-member posts are sometimes accepted, and reply to all
includes the non-member poster.

3) It is not a burden for most list members as they have set their
duplicate avoidance appropriately for their preference.

>On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

[...]
>>> (QUESTION 5)
>>> The arrangement on the target system will be more complicated.
>
>because our aliases are mantained on the NIS master server. The master and
>slave servers are also the domain main and backup MX.
>
>However the web server is on a third machine. A configuration like the one
>I use on my test machine (local sendmail aliases inherited from local
>mailman aliases, which "pipe" into local mailman executables) is likely
>to work there ...
>
>... but we'd have to expose somehow this machine name in the e-mail
>address (we currently mask all behind the domain) or replicate all mailman
>aliases in the NIS maps as
>
>xxxxx: xxxxx at mailmanhost
>
>but I do understand we cannot use a CNAME for mailmanhost ?

There is no Mailman restriction per se, but there is an email standard
(RFC 1123, STD 3) that is clear that the names in MX records must have
A records, not CNAME. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uYA9> for
some of the consequences.

I don't think I actually understand the configuration or what the
problem is.

Ultimately, mail to a list must be delivered to the Mailman machine,
but I don't understand why the existing MXs can't relay it there or
can they?