[Mailman-Users] How to turn off plain text passwords?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 17:13:44 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 07:52:08AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Its the first of the month, and I'm receiving my passwords from Mailman servers.

Happy Mailman Day!

(I disable Mailman-day crontab entries.)

> I don't want my passwords stored in the plain text, and I don't want
> them stored with reversible encryption.

Install Mailman 3.

Mark may have a more useful suggestion of what to patch, and there
could well be something in the archives about this.

> How do I turn off this  security hole (feature?).

The standard listinfo text warns:

    You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild
    security, but should prevent others from messing with your
    subscription. Do not use a valuable password as it will
    occasionally be emailed back to you in cleartext.

You could, perhaps, edit the listinfo blurb, to give that greater
prominence?

--
"Celebrity can be malign in that it becomes a form of idolatry, and
 people live their lives vicariously through the rich and famous rather