[Mailman-Users] How to turn off plain text passwords?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 17:13:44 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 07:52:08AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Its the first of the month, and I'm receiving my passwords from Mailman servers.

Happy Mailman Day!

(I disable Mailman-day crontab entries.)

> I don't want my passwords stored in the plain text, and I don't want
> them stored with reversible encryption.

Install Mailman 3.

Mark may have a more useful suggestion of what to patch, and there
could well be something in the archives about this.

> How do I turn off this  security hole (feature?).

The standard listinfo text warns:

    You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild
    security, but should prevent others from messing with your
    subscription. Do not use a valuable password as it will
    occasionally be emailed back to you in cleartext.

You could, perhaps, edit the listinfo blurb, to give that greater

"Celebrity can be malign in that it becomes a form of idolatry, and
 people live their lives vicariously through the rich and famous rather
 than attending to their own lives."
    -- John Sentamu