[Mailman-Users] How to turn off plain text passwords?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 1 20:47:25 CET 2011

Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>OK. I'm not the sysadmin, so I can't control the software.
>
>I can control my account settings. But I take it there is nothing I
>can do as a user.

As a list member, you can turn off password reminders for any list of
which you are a member. As a list admin, you can turn off reminders
for the entire list. This does not affect how passwords are stored,
but at least you can suppress emailing them.

[...]
>I wish these list managers would get a f**king clue and do things securely.

The storing and optional mailing of passwords in plain text is a long
standing issue that the Mailman developers are well aware of. This
will finally change in Mailman 3.