[Mailman-Users] mail not going out; no logs

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Nov 18 08:30:46 CET 2011

chad+mailman at shire.net wrote:

>I had a successful mailman installation running on one server.  Due to some HW issues on that server that we have not been able to address, the mailman installation was moved to a different, similar server.   The qrunners all run, and the cgi stuff works for UI of the lists, but no messages are sent out.   The MTA is exim.
>
>When a mail comes in for a list, exim successfully delivers the mail to mailman.   The message DOES appear in  qfiles/in  for a second or two before mailman grabs it.  It then next shows up in data/heldmsg-LISTNAME-nnn.pck and is not sent out.   This happens regardless of "emergency moderation" being sent, and if you go to the admin UI for the list, there are NO pending moderation requests showing.

The message is being held for some reason. Mailman's vette log will
tell you why, and it should appear on the list's admindb interface.

>logs/   shows nothing except when the qrunners start and stop (successfully).

If you don't see anything in Mailman's vette log, there is either a
permissions issue in writing the logs or you are not looking at the
correct logs.

If you don't see the held message in the admindb interface, the web
server is pointing at the wrong Mailman installation.

>I have exhausted my knowledge on debugging this and would appreciate some help in figuring out what is going on.  (I did upgrade mailman to see if that helped but the problem remains, so no permissions got fixed that way)
>
>check_perms only flags a few cgi related things which need to be different due to group of the web server and the way suexec works.  (no g+s, different group name, non writable by group directory)
>
>check_db flags nothing

check_db is a very minimal test. It only checks that config.pck* can be
successfully unpickled.

>bin/dumpdb lists/LISTNAME/request.pck
>[----- start pickle file -----]
><----- start object 1 ----->
>{'version': (0, 1)}
>[----- end pickle file -----]

Are you certain you are looking at the correct Mailman installation?