[Mailman-Users] Duplicate posts?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 24 01:19:27 CET 2011

Carlos Palomino wrote:

>It appears they are replying to all, as in the few header samples I've seen, there are two instances of the group address (in the To and CC fields).
>
>I have the setting checked to filter out duplicates, but still receiving complaints.
>Not sure how to handle this, as it seems to be on the user's end.

It appears that the issue is you have your list setting
reply_goes_to_list set to This list. Thus, posts received from the
list are To: the list as sent by the original poster and have a
duplicate message recipients, but if none of the MTAs handling this
message drop the duplicate, it will be delivered to the list twice,
possibly archived twice (the archiver may drop a duplicate
Message-ID:), appear twice in digests and be sent twice to message
recipients.

You can easily avoid this by setting reply_goes_to_list to Poster. This
will solve the problem for the reply-all replies, but those who just
reply will find their replies going to the poster rather than the list.

This is really a user education problem, and can't be solved because no
matter what you do, some users won't like it.