[Mailman-Users] Digest Delivery question...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 11 23:59:02 CEST 2011

Chuck Johnson wrote:
>I am curious if anyone has found a way to specify the time(s) that the digest message is sent rather than depending upon a size condition being met?
>I'm thinking that it can be done via a cron job and a mailman command, but I'm not familiar enough with the mailman specific commands to know if it is possible or not.

A standard Mailman installation runs several cron jobs either via a
'system' crontab or the Mailman user's crontab. One of these jobs is
cron/senddigests which by default runs at noon for all lists.

cron/senddigests sends a digest for every list whose Digest options ->
digest_send_periodic is Yes and which has messages pending for the

If you want only periodic digests, set digest_send_periodic to Yes and
set digest_size_threshhold large enough that you don't get digests
triggered on size in between.

You can edit Mailman's crontab to run cron/senddigests on any schedule
you want, and if you want different schedules for different lists, you
can specify one or more list names for cron/senddigests with one or
more -l LISTNAME options and have multiple commands run on different
schedules for different lists.