[Mailman-Users] public archive points to private archive directory

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Fri Oct 28 00:54:24 CEST 2011

I've just brought up mailman on a debian-testing box
and almost everything works. (Hooray!) The problem I'm having
is that after creating a list, subscribing a user, and
sending a message to the list, I go to the list info

and click on ... visit the Testing3 Archives with

and I get

You don't have permission to access /pipermail/testing3/ on this server.

So ok, this seems to be a permissions problem, and I'm bothering
you all so that I can learn the Right Way(tm) to fix it.

The relevant apache config is:

 <Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/>
	Options FollowSymLinks
	AllowOverride None
 Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

Here's the permissions trail (after bin/check_perms -f):

root at quine:/var/lib/mailman# ls
archives/  cgi-bin@  data/   lists/  logs@  Mailman@   qfiles/   spam/
bin@       cron@     icons@  locks@  mail@  messages/  scripts@  templates@
root at quine:/var/lib/mailman# ls -ld archives/
drwxrwsr-x 4 root list 4096 Oct 26 17:59 archives//
root at quine:/var/lib/mailman# ls -ld archives/*
drwxrws--- 6 list list 4096 Oct 27 15:09 archives/private/
drwxrwsr-x 2 root list 4096 Oct 27 15:09 archives/public/
root at quine:/var/lib/mailman# ls -ld archives/public/*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root     list 41 Oct 26 18:01 archives/public/mailman ->
lrwxrwxrwx 1 www-data list 42 Oct 27 15:09 archives/public/testing3 ->

Hmm, archives/public/testing3 points to archives/private/... but
apache running as www-data can't access archives/private because
private is list:list and with no world readers (as it should be).

However the list testing3 is configured to have *public* archives.
So... why is the public archive pointing to the private one?

What's the Right Way to fix this so that clicking the visit archives
link on a new list doesn't result in a 403 Forbidden barf?

Or have I possibly botched something else?

Many thanks,