[Mailman-Users] postfix+mailman - User unknown in virtual mailboxtable

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 2 15:56:28 CEST 2011

J. Bakshi wrote:

>This is an operational mail server supporting multidomain and based
>on postfix+dovecot+mysql.  The virtual domain related config at main.cf
>is as below
>
>[....]
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>
>#########################################
>## virtual domain setting
>#########################################
>virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
>virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-alias-maps.cf,mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-email2email.cf
>virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
>virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-mailbox-domains.cf
>virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-mailbox-maps.cf
>virtual_transport = dovecot
>dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
>virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
>[....]
>``````````````
>
>I have installed mailman here and to support virtual domain also have
>the following at /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>

>[....]
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'list.mydomain.com'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.mydomain.com'
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
>POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
>DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
>SMTPPORT = '25'
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['list.infoservices.in']
>IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'
>[....]
>
>and the master.cf has following
>
>[....]
>mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>  flags=FR user=list argv=/etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py
>    ${nexthop} ${user}
>[....]

You are mixing two different methods of delivering mail to Mailman. You
want to use either aliases and virtual alias maps or
postfix_to_mailman.py. These are separate methods and are not
compatible with each other.

Aliases/virtual maps are appropriate in all cases and can generally be
automated with settings such as you have above in mm_cfg.py, however,
you are missing a reference to
hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman in virtual_alias_maps in
main.cf.

On the other hand, to use postfix_to_mailman.py which works well only
if you have a dedicated domain for Mailman lists with no non-list
addresses, you put "MTA = None" in mm_cfg.py and remove all the other
Postfix stuff from mm_cfg.py. You also need something in
transport_maps in Postfix to tell Postfix to use the 'mailman'
transport for all mail to the 'list.mydomain.com' (or
'list.infoservices.in') domain. See the comments at the beginning of
postfix_to_mailman.py for additional configuration information.

Note that postfix_to_mailman.py is a third party module officially
unsupported by the GNU Mailman project. If you want to use it, you
should go to whatever entity suggested it to you for support.

>after reloading postfix and mailman I have created a list and also
>copy paste the suggested aliases at /etc/aliases and executed "newalias"
>command.
>
>If I send a request to listname-request at list.mydomain.com I get an error from
>postfix as
>
>` ` ` `
> Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
>` ` ` `
>
>Do I need to create all such an account required by mailman?

No. Mailman list addresses should never by local accounts/mailboxes.