[Mailman-Users] delayed distribution of messages

Lluis Montoliu montoliu at cnb.csic.es
Sat Sep 17 21:14:28 CEST 2011

Thanks Mark for your further comments.

Yes, the delay is at the server, but it is nothing to do with mailman.
According to your comments, I have just discussed with the Systems
Admin of our hosting and it looks like they implemented a filter
(server being capable of sending only 1 message every 5 seconds, which
would exactly explain our observed delays for the number of members of
our list) apparently to avoid being associated with black lists and
identified as spammer, which I do not think at all this is necessary
or required.

I have already instructed them to immediately release this filter and
let the messages flow at the technical speed associated with the
server capabilities.

Thanks anyway for your very helpful comments

Lluis

Quoting Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:

> Lluis Montoliu wrote:
>>
>> Here are the headings of one of these delayed messages, sent yesterday
>> (at 18:47), that was eventually distributed 45 minutes later (at 19:32):
> [...]
>> from d344.dinaserver.com (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by
>> d344.dinaserver.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5D6E724B62; Fri, 16 Sep
>> 2011 19:32:29 +0200 (CEST)
>>
>> from ironport.csic.es (ironport.csic.es [161.111.10.143]) by
>> d344.dinaserver.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4329A23BBE for
>> <istt_list at transtechsociety.org>; Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:47:42 +0200 (CEST)
> [...]
>> Thus, according to the timings above, it looks as the delay indeed
>> occurs at our d344.dinaserver.com server, not sure whether we can say
>> this is related to mailman or to server performance with these data,
>> could we?
>

> It looks like the delay is between delivery to Mailman and delivery
> from Mailman. You could confirm this by grepping the Postfix log
> (/var/log/maillog ?) for the queue IDs 5D6E724B62 and 4329A23BBE.
> Also, the log messages for queue ID 4329A23BBE will show whether the
> delay is in Postfix or not.
>
> Do you have access to this log? Do you have access to Mailman's logs
> and files. If so, what's in Mailman's 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' logs
> with time stamps in the one hour or so range beginning Fri, 16 Sep
> 2011 18:47:42?
>
> --

Dr. Lluis Montoliu
Investigador Cientifico - Research Scientist CSIC
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia (CNB-CSIC)
Campus de Cantoblanco
C/ Darwin, 3
28049 Madrid (Spain)
Tel. +34-91-5854844  / Fax +34-91-5854506
e-mail: montoliu at cnb.csic.es
WEB: http://www.cnb.csic.es/~montoliu/