[Mailman-Users] Setting Up Mailman

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Wed Apr 18 20:21:47 CEST 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Wayne Cook wrote:

> Your article is a LIFESAVER Larry, and I can GUARENTEE YOU that I'm in over
> my head!
> Hopefully with help I can muddle through this and learn something...the
> links to the screen shots should work now:
>
> http://www.mycoachonline.com/mailmanshots/

Screenshots of OS X windows aren't all that useful. They're just showing
us that a file of the given name exists somewhere. It doesn't show us if
it's exactly the right place or the contents.

For the first window, two problems: 1) file name - as discussed in the
previous note it should be start_mailman.sh and 2) more importantly, I'm
pretty sure it's in the wrong directory. We want that in /var/root (at
least we do if the that's where we told it would be mailman.plist)

Please do the following in Terminal and send me the output including
everything you typed and everything returned in response:

cd /var/root
ls -l *mailman*
cat *mailman*.sh
cd /Library/LaunchDaemons
cat mailman.plist

The start obviously failed but any output from it should be logged in
/var/log/system.log. Try:
grep -i mailman /var/log/system.log
and include any output returned.

-- Larry Stone