[Mailman-Users] mailman subscriptions broke after 2 days

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 28 21:43:05 CEST 2012

Hank Montgomery wrote:
>On 4/28/2012 11:47 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> In any case, you should get a daily summary "nn moderator requests"
>> email. These are sent daily at 8:00 a.m. local time unless the
>> installation has modified that.
>I did not get any daily summary - but I do not think there were any 
>outstanding requests overnight.
>Would this request include requests that have already been acted upon?

No. It is only a summary of what you would see in you went to the
admindb page at that time.

>> What happens if you send an email to LISTNAME-owner at ... If that is
>> received, it will verify that Mailman can send to the list
>> owners/moderators and narrow the problem somewhat.
>I just tried that and it has been 20 minutes and I have not had a response.
>Although in testing this morning there were notices to that address from 
>mailman-bounces at ..... AFTER a subscription was accepted or a subscriber 
>was deleted.

So you are getting the notices controlled by admin_notify_mchanges.
This confirms that Mailman can send to owners/moderators and
VirginRunner is running.

If mail to LISTNAME-owner at ... is not working, there is some other
reason for that, although this mail uses essentially the same
processes as list posts so it is hard to guess what may be wrong.

>> The remaining possibility after checking all the above is most likely
>> that VirginRunner is not running. This is something that needs to be
>> investigated/corrected by the host, although if you can do a 'ps' on
>> the server, you could tell if it's running (see the FAQ at
>> <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>).

As I note above, VirginRunner IS running if you got the subscribe and
unsubscribe notifications.

>I will contact my hosting provider - Lunar Pages.  Using cPanel I was 
>initially able to delete an old email list that had worked well but was 
>no longer being used - however I was not able create the new mail list 
>using cPanel.   Searching the internet found a couple of reports of the 
>same problem happening after a mail server was moved (my whole hosting 
>server moved not long ago) so I reported the problem and it was fixed.  
>I hope that your suggestion of "VirginRunner" may be the problem.   I do 
>not have access to a shell account on the host server.   I will contact 
>their support techs again.

The hosting service is going to have to figure this out. Further
diagnosis needs access to Mailman's logs and/or the MTA logs.

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list