[Mailman-Users] add_members with password

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 29 02:09:31 CEST 2012

Eric Smith wrote:

>How do I add_members and allocate a password?
>
>For members who do not wish to subscribe through the web
>interface, what is the way to subscribe them so that they
>have a password for subsequent login?

Subscribing by email allows specification of a password.

Every list member has a password regardless of how they were
subscribed. If they were subscribed by a method that doesn't allow
specifying a password or if they just didn't specify one, a random
password is assigned, and if the list sends a welcome message, the
welcome message contains the password and a link to the user's options
page where it can be changed.