[Mailman-Users] Google Message Security (or similar) with Mailman

Kirke Johnson kjohnson at pcc.edu
Fri Dec 7 23:52:40 CET 2012

We have been using GMS since we migrated user accounts to Gmail. Our
relationship between Postini and Mailman is kind of ugly due to that
migration.

Basically, we set up a Postini org for the Mailman lists which
receives all external mail headed for the lists subdomain. Virus
infected messages and messages for other than the list proper are
refused. Internal mail to lists does not go through Postini, so all
the list aliases can be addressed internally. Clean messages  are
delivered to Mailman. Messages that are quarantined appear in a
nightly quarantine notification message sent to the list owner(s) from
our internal postmaster address, which is an entry in
discard_these_nonmembers in all lists.

Our list owners have been instructed to leave that entry alone. Auto
discards are forwarded to the list owner instead of the list, with the
cryptic subject "Auto-discard notification", which we did not discover
a means of modifying.

List owners have been instructed not to release quarantined messages
to the list unless they are false positives.  List owners can release
messages to the list using either links in the daily notification or
by logging in to the Postini Message Center as the list user (which
requires them to maintain yet another set of account credentials).

Luckily the number of list messages that get quarantined is relatively
low, as this process is difficult to explain and confusing to
recognize when a notification is received. We do not like it, but
could not come up with a better solution given our infrastructure and
the time available during account migration.

I have been instructed to migrate all mailman lists to Google Groups,
and all new lists are being set up as Groups. This will obviously
relieve us of the ugly work-around. We do not yet have enough
experience with Groups to learn what "gotchas" lie in wait for us
there. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has been
through that migration.

Kirke Johnson                               Internet: kjohnson at pcc.edu
Email Administrator, TSS , Sylvania Campus
Portland Community College, Portland, OR, USA     (971) 722-4368