[Mailman-Users] Digest distribution time problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 23 20:47:59 CET 2012

On 2/23/2012 11:32 AM, Conor –––––– wrote:

> This worked perfectly. I changed both the user's crontab as well as
> the system's cron.d/mailman file and now I seem to be able to
> manipulate the time at which the digests distribute.

You absolutely do not want both the user and the system crontabs. Either
one will do, but both will run every job twice. This won't matter much
for senddigests because the first one will send a digest and the second
won't have a digest to send, but, for example, two checkdbs will each
send the "nn moderator requests" email so recipients will receive two
copies.

> As a quick aside
> though: would I be able to just duplicate that particular line in
> both of those files and make the second line, say, 3pm, so digests
> distribute both at 9am and 3pm everyday?

As I said, you only want one of the two files. taking the user's crontab
as an example, you could have two entries

0 9 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests

and

0 15 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests

but the normal way to do this is with one entry

0 9,15 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests

See 'man 5 crontab'.