[Mailman-Users] mail message to list disappears

Peter STUMPF Peter.STUMPF at unoosa.org
Thu Jan 19 09:48:00 CET 2012

I compared the logs of exim for a message to the mailing list that doesn't
work with a message to the list that does work.

And... bam! There it was - I have a user on my system who has the exact
same name as the mailing list is called. Thanks for pointing me back to
the exim logs!
That's what exim put  into the logs:

2012-01-19 09:26:04 1RnnJr-0007B3-Sk => somename <somename at someserver.org>
R=local_user T=mail_spool       <= not working
2012-01-19 09:29:23 1RnnN5-0007Ba-LE => test <test at someserver.org>
R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport            <= working

It clearly shows, that there is a user on my system which has exactly the
same name as the mailing list (d'oh!)
So exim transports the mail message to the user and not to mailman. I just
logged in as as that user and found all the messages I had sent earlier,
in his inbox.
That's totally logical! I should've thought of this before and read the
logs more carefully. It's stated there 'R=local_user T=mail_spool'.
So the system works like a charm, only the guy administering it
doesn't....

Thanks again!

Peter
http://twitter.com/UN_SPIDER