[Mailman-Users] AOL redacts user addresses even with VERP and full personalization enabled

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jun 18 05:40:33 CEST 2012

On Jun 17, 2012, at 7:27 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> So what would be the implications of hacking an extra header into
> outgoing posts on lists for which personalization is enabled, say
> "X-Subdata", with said header containing a hash of the subscriber
> address to which the post is directed?

You could do this, but the question is whether or not that header would survive through to the complaint you get via their feedback loop.  I doubt that it would, but there's only one way to know for sure.

> I'm not asking for a feature from the devs since I can hack this myself,
> just perhaps some insight into the implications for a list host that
> handles no more than half a dozen small mailing lists, each with 1000
> subscribers or less.

It would be simple enough to write a milter that would work with postfix and sendmail to implement such a feature, and I strongly suspect that someone else has probably already done this.  You just need to find it and install it.