[Mailman-Users] cgi/create and local use - trouble...

gene mm at brightstar.bomgardner.net
Mon Jun 18 15:18:37 CEST 2012

Hi All:
I have a lan with several machines on it. I've installed MM 2.1.14 on the
unix host 'genesis' which also runs my apache server. In order to browse to
genesis' web server from within the lan, I have to use something like:
Using the fqdn (genesis.domain.net or domain.net) just times out.

So when I tried to use cgi/create (web) to create a list, I got:
"Unknown virtual domain: genesis"

So in mm_cfg.py I put the following:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'genesis.domain.net'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'genesis.domain.net'

add_virtualhost('genesis.domain.net')
add_virtualhost('genesis')

That solved the virtual host problem, but now, when using cgi/create to
create the list "test" I get:

'Illegal list name: test@'       < note no domain name

So I tried creating test with the fqdn and was told that the '@' was not
allowed in the list name (makes sense). I was able to create the list using
bin/newlist, bur it seems the newlist creates lists as private, not public,
lists.

So...  does anyone know how this script can be used locally as well as from
outside the lan?

Thanks,
Gene